Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Habits

I have heard that it takes 21 days to develop a good habit.  Various studies have suggested that depending on the person or the habit, it may take as long as a year.  I have been trying to develop better habits:

  • Walk every day
  • Drink a gallon of water each day
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables 
  • Sleep at least 7 hours a day 
  • Read every day
  • Blog/journal each day
  • Lastly, Pray each day

I have gone through periods of times where have have been able to do each of these consistently, but then something happens, and I break that habit.

This spring, I went 47 out of 50 days where I walked at least 7000 steps (which is about 3.5 miles).  Many days, I was over 10,000 steps.  But I got out of that habit and have had a hard time getting back to walking.  My goal is to get up at 6:00 and go walking each morning.  

However, I also want to make sure, I get enough sleep.  During the time when I was walking every day, I was also able to sleep well.  But I am having a harder time falling asleep lately.  I am going to try some techniques to help me fall asleep by 11 pm so I can get at least 7 hours sleep each night.

I have been able to drink a gallon of water each day.  I bought a gallon jug over a month ago.  I fill it up each day  in the morning and keep it with me.  I have only gone 2 days where I didn’t finish it.  So I hope I can keep up that habit.

I am now on Day 2 of starting to journal in my blog again.  So I have a long way to go in that endeavor.

I also don’t take the time to pray enough.  But I find that when I am anxious or am not focusing on my goals, prayer helps me refocus. 

What habits are you trying to develop?

No comments: