Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Table Tennis Again? - 6/18/08

I went back through my previous journal entries and I noticed that in 3 of the last 4, I have mentioned table tennis.  Well, now make it 4 out of 5.  Today, I met with Bill Guilfoil, who is a well known player among the table tennis community in Kansas City and runs the Overland Park club.  He is going to be coaching me.

Today I pretty much worked on forehand and spacing.  I was already feeling like my game is improving from just a few new things that he taught me.  I still have very much to learn.  I am going to let him know when I am going to be in Overland Park and he said he could probably work around my schedule.  I hope to work enough to be able to have some success at the show-me state games in July.

I feel like I am a good player, but there are times where I don't have the confidence that I should to win.  I am hopeful that this will give me more confidence.  I am optimistic about it.  Speaking of optimism, I get a newsletter from Alan Zimmerman each Tuesday.  I had mentioned his book "Pivot: How One Turn in Attitude Can Lead to Success" in some of my previous journal entries.  In today's newsletter, his topic is "Optimism, Pessimism or Cynic".  He basically said that positive attitudes will lead to positive results and that we need to feed the positive thoughts and work on blocking negative thoughts.  I have a hard time doing that when I hit the ball off of the table or into the net, but today I realized that each time I do that, there is something that I did wrong that I can fix, so I my attitude about it is good.

My daughter went to a birthday party tonight.  The party was basically a carnival theme set up in the backyard of one of her best friends.  They had a ticket booth and gave the girls tickets at the beginning to be able to play games and get prizes.  After that, they were able to swim in their pool.  She had lots of fun and I had a hard time getting her to come home when I went to pick her up.

My finger is still hurting from yesterday and it is still hard to grip things with my right hand.  I am feeling a litte bit of numbness in my right ring finger.  I am not sure if I cut a nerve or something, but I am hoping it will start feeling better in the next couple of days.

No comments: